Saturday, April 13, 2013

Window with Folded Valance Card

As I promised, I found and ordered another set of window frame dies to use in my Cuttlebug. These new dies come in 2 sizes and cut a one piece window. This cut includes both window panes and top and bottom moldings.

The dies are made by Poppystamps, Inc. and I found them for sale at oozak.com.

These 100% steel craft dies are called Small Madison Window and Grand Madison Window. The only difference in these 2 great dies is the size. Today I am using the smaller of the two on a card base of 4" x 5 1/2".

As I normally do, I measure the area to cut in the card base. I use the art Impressions kids to judge where their feet hit the edge of the card base. I trace the window in place and then cut the area out slightly larger than the frame. The next step is to glue both windows in place back to back. The last step is to embellish the window card inside and out!

Cut two windows with die using the Cuttlebug

Trace window for placement
Cut window a bit larger than frame
Cut out valance
Score valance for folds





Line valance on the opposite side to show through window
Glue pieces in place on card front


Cut garden pieces using Cricut  and Cuttlebug

Generally I have put the folded valence (measures 2 1/2 x 3 1/2") on the front of the card, with one of the little kids peering into the card. A garden grows on the inside below the window frame. But recently I got the Sizzix brick embossing folder and wanted to pair it with a wood frame window on the outside of the card. The folded valance works on the inside with the little kid looking outside to the garden growing against the water colored (Tombow markers with water brush) bricks. I'm really liking this look...don't you?

By the way, all but two of the cards using this window die and valance have been sold!

4 comments:

R Howard said...

These are just PRECIOUS!! again so clever and your blog is so informative!! Thanks for the great details! R Howard

Anonymous said...

The smaller window works great.
Also love the brick work.

Diane

Lindsay Weirich said...

love the pleated valence, great touch!

Kathy Shea Mormino, The Chicken Chick said...

Such pretty work.........Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!


Cheers,
Kathy Shea Mormino

The Chicken Chick

http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com