Saturday, March 24, 2012

DIY Decorative Coasters

I'd like to thank the various blogs that have inspired me to try my hand at designing coasters from tiles, including www.madebyjacqueline.blogspot.com and
http://www.curbly.com/users/diy-maven/posts/6125-curbly-video-using-paper-napkins-to-make-decorative-tile-coasters

So far I have used printed paper for one technique and paper napkins for another. Each is made using a 4"x4" ceramic tile. For the first set, I cut a 3 3/4" square using my Cricut. I used the Cricut Classic Font set on the Italic square on page 72 of the manual. The clock paper is from 7 Gypsies, the Paddington collection.

Step 1: Paint mod podge across the tile and across the back of the printed paper.

Step 2: Place paper on the title.

Step 3: Paint at least 3 or 4 layers of  mod podge across the tile, letting each layer dry at a time.

Step 4: Spray acrylic clear finish over the top of the coaster at least 3 times, letting it dry between spays.

Step 5: Place felt adhesive pads on all 4 corners on the back of the decorative coaster.



Since there is a wonderful video and tutorial using paper napkins on ceramic tile, there is no need to repeat it here, go to:
http://www.curbly.com/users/diy-maven/posts/6125-curbly-video-using-paper-napkins-to-make-decorative-tile-coasters

7 comments:

Laura said...

love this idea- just pinned it! I found a box of these new coasters that somebody was throwing away and I've been wanting to do something with them. I'll definitely try this!

Lindsay Weirich said...

those look great!

Rose Jesky said...

I think that these coasters would make a good gift. Plus they look fun to make, you have a great blog and I'm now following. Hope you can come check me out, and come link up to my Sunday Round Up party.
Rose
http://www.arosiesweethome.com/

Unknown said...

These came out great! It's amazing how much we all end up inspiring each other to try new thing, right? Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays. Stop back tonight for a bloglovin blog hop, If you're unfamiliar with bloglovin you can find out about it at www.thenymelrosefamily.blogspot.com/2012/02/i-heart-bloglovin.htm.

Natasha Mairs - Serenity You said...

these look great well done!!!
thanks for sharing on Serenity Saturday.
hope to see you there again tomorrow

Natasha xx

serenityyou.blogspot.com

Sarah L. said...

These turned out great!!!!

I would love for you to share this at my Flaunt It Friday link party. There are also TWO amazing giveaways this week!

http://www.dottedlinecrafts.com/2012/03/flaunt-it-friday.html

Looking forward to more posts,
Sarah@
www.dottedlinecrafts.com

Dr Sonia S V said...

These are awesome -- love how you have transformed them
Cheers
Sonia
cardsandschoolprojects.blogspot.com